Monday, August 4, 2014

Do you think I'm beautiful???

A group of soldiers, who several minutes before this photo was taken, were pushing Palestinians around and acting like jerks. 

After the picture was taken, the one on the left hand side at the front stormed over to me and angrily asked me a question I have never been asked before by a person in uniform, or anyone ever in the middle east.

The question he asked me was:

"Do you think I'm beautiful?"


There was no way to honestly reply to such a question, so I looked down and pretended not to hear. Pointing to my wedding ring and telling him I am already taken would probably have been a bad idea.

He yelled at me: "stop taking my fucking picture!" Then he and his men stormed back to the yellow gate they come out from.

We are legally permitted to photograph the Israeli Army. Many of the soldiers hate it, and this is the case particularly when they are being cruel to Palestinians. Sometimes when the cameras come out, they decide to leave.




Another inexplicably strange event happened last night, as we were coming back after our encounter with the settlers. Some of the soldiers at the checkpoint we were passing by, started barking at us.

Some situations are so strange, that there really is no way to even begin to contemplate a response. We kept walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment